Sunday, May 5, 2013

Taylor Higgins Profile




IMG_6730.JPG (4467KB, 2592 x 3888)
#9 Taylor Higgins
Photo courtesy of  Michael DeChellis.




 Reno, Nevada has a population of 225,221 and is known as "The biggest little city in the world." Reno is also the place that Roadrunner baseball player Taylor Higgins calls home.

Higgins is a freshman outfielder for the Roadrunner baseball team that currently finds themselves at 22-12 and second place in the NWAACC South Region.

Higgins had a somewhat unconventional path to LBCC. "I was in California and looking for somewhere to play," Higgins said, "I was doing research online and found out that Oregon community colleges had low tuition, and I saw the success that LB baseball has had, so I got on the phone with coach (Greg) Hawk and came to Albany."

"I knew he could play, and I want ball players on my team." Coach Hawk said

All athletes have expectations of themselves going into a season, especially athletes going into their first year with a new team. Taylor Higgins has these expectations of himself, "I knew that to pursue and achieve my goals I was going to have to beat some guys out, so I got right to work when I got here."

In 52 at bats this season Higgins has 18 hits, a .404 batting average with 10 runs batted in, not to shabby for a freshman. 

"He has great batting numbers, which has come from more plate appearances as the season has progressed," said Hawk.

Normally baseball players come to LBCC to play for two-years, but recently tragedy struck the LBCC baseball program. Due to recent budget problems the decision came down to cut the colleges baseball program. With this being Higgins first year at LB it was a tough pill to swallow knowing that he won't be able to play the two-years he came to LB to play. "I am heart broken, completely disappointed in the decision that has been made," Higgins said.

"I expected to play two-years here, and now its gone," Higgins voices his frustration.

"Coach Hawk had been great for us first-year players, calling around to get our names out there to other programs so we can continue to play." Said Higgins

The LB baseball club has been having great success this season. Knowing that this season is the baseball programs "swan song" has provided great motivation for the team to do something great. "It is the stuff movies are made of, you know the concept of the last season being the best season" Higgins said.

The LB baseball team still has two more weeks of games as they get ready for the playoffs. But Higgins is already thanking his teammates and coaches during his time at LB. "I want to say thank you to my coaches for the opportunity I have been given and the memories I have made, but most of all thank you to coach Hawk who gave me a chance."


                                                                             At A Glance
                                                              Taylor Higgins Freshman outfielder #9
                                                                          Player Profile here

No comments:

Post a Comment